1. Secular liberalists have the temerity to support the wrongdoings of the men who were found guilty of attempting to perform rectal intercourse which is a clear cut unnatural act. Tragically, some of those who were found guilty are actually married.
2. We can truly understand now why Rasulullah ﷺ was uncompromising when dealing with this personal transgression. It does not only bring harm to the individual committing the act, it also destroys the family institution.
3. None of us should get confused by the concept of ‘Rahmatan lil Alamin’ to the extent that we sanction personal transgressions like rectal intercourse, justifying them with cosmetic terms such as ‘personal sphere’ transgressions. Any transgression whether in private or public should be dealt with holistically and conclusively.
4. It is clear why the Qur’an firmly forbids this type of transgression, in fact Allah ﷻ characterises same sex intercourse as a foul act (fahishah) which is extreme in nature (musrifun). Allah ﷻ says in the Qur’an:
وَلُوطًا إِذْ قَالَ لِقَوْمِهِ أَتَأْتُونَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مَا سَبَقَكُمْ بِهَا مِنْ أَحَدٍ مِنَ الْعَالَمِينَ . إِنَّكُمْ لَتَأْتُونَ الرِّجَالَ شَهْوَةً مِنْ دُونِ النِّسَاءِ بَلْ أَنْتُمْ قَوْمٌ مُسْرِفُونَ
“And (remember) Lut, when he said to his people; “Do you commit the worst sin such as none has preceding you has committed in the ‘Alamin (among the mankind and the jinn)? Verily you practice your lusts on men instead of women. Nay, but you are a people transgressing beyond bounds (by such sins).”
5. It is also not surprising that Rasulullah ﷺ was also very firm with regards to this and cursed those who engaged in homosexual acts.
لَعَنَ اللَّهُ مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَلَ قَوْمِ لُوطٍ ، لَعَنَ اللَّهُ مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَلَ قَوْمِ لُوطٍ ، ثَلاثًا
“Allah condemns those who commit the practice of Prophet Luth’s people. Rasulullah repeated the word ‘condemn’ for three times.”. (HR Ahmad, reviewed by Hasan oleh al-Arna’ut)
6. With the above evidences, the Companions and Successors of the Prophet (رضي الله عنه) prescribed very severe punishments to those who engaged in rectal intercourse amongst the same sex. Imam al-Syafie even opined that sodomists should be stoned.
قال الشافعي : وبهذا نأخذ برجم اللوطي محصناً كان أو غير محصن
“Words from al-Imam al-Syafie: With this we are in the view that liwat practitioners need to be stoned whether they are married or single.” (al-Shaukani, Nail al-Autar)
7. If Allah ﷻ has characterised sodomists as grave sinners, Rasulullah ﷺ has cursed them and the Companions and scholars such as Imam al-Shafie (رضي الله عنه)prescribed harsh punishments for them, how can we even consider disagreeing with Allah ﷻ and His Messenger ﷺ and support the transgressions of these men?
May Allah ﷻ grant hidayah (guidance) to us all. May Allah ﷻ spare us from the befuddled thinking of secular liberals which pollute the teachings of the Straight Path of Islam. May Allah ﷻ guide us all.
Dr. Ahmad Sanusi Azmi | WAFIQ Syariah Advisor
(Translation by Dr Qalamu Nusaybah, our Education Exco)